Monday, February 11, 2013

Second Annual Star of Davida Essay Contest - EXTENDED!

A few months ago, I announced the Second Annual Star of Davida Essay Contest. The deadline I established then is February 28, but I have decided to extend it by six weeks to April 12! 

Description: The theme was inspired by the Tumblr Who Needs Feminism?. Answer the question “Why do you need feminism?” Go crazy with your response, so long as it’s between 200 - 800 words.

Some Ideas You Can Write About:
I need feminism because...
double standards are unfair.
I shouldn't have to avoid mirrors to feel good about myself.
men should be able to be sensitive without being called "gay."
I want to feel safe when I walk alone at night.
women should be able to count in a minyan.
I'm tired of being a victim of street harassment.
slut-shaming is not acceptable.
just because I don't want to get married doesn't mean I'm a lesbian.
I should be able to lay tefillin even though I'm a girl.
there should be more strong women characters in movies and on TV.
I don't want to have to be Superwoman.
rape culture has to end.

How to Enter: Send your essay as a doc, docx, or PDF file to starofdavida@gmail.com. If there’s a technical issue with your entry, I’ll be in touch - don’t worry. In the subject line, please write “Essay Contest” or something to that effect. On the top of the first page, include your full name, school year, and email address.

Deadline: APRIL 12, 2013

Eligibility: Any and all students (from preschool to a PhD program) can enter.

Awards: The top three winners will each win a copy of Julie Zeilinger’s debut book A Little F’d Up: Why Feminism Is Not a Dirty Word. The winning essays will also be published on Star of Davida!


Please direct any questions you have to starofdavida@gmail.com. Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment