Friday, August 8, 2014

The Very Inspiring Blogger Award


I was nominated by the wonderful Zoe of the blog La Vie En Zoe for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award! I’m totally flattered that she finds Star of Davida inspiring, and am so touched that she nominated me. Because we write in different genres and have different blogging styles, I think it’s great that we can transcend our dissimilarities and appreciate each other’s writing.

The rules of the award are as follows:
  1. Thank and follow the person who nominated you.
  2. List seven facts about yourself.
  3. Nominate other bloggers who you find inspiring.

So, here goes nothing…seven facts about me!
  1. My bright pink laptop shell is covered in feminist stickers from a pack I bought in this awesome patriotic, progressive indie store in Philadelphia. My favorites say “sisterhood is powerful,” “we can do it” (Rosie the Riveter reference, anyone?), “feminism is the answer,” and the quotation “my advice to the women’s clubs of America is to raise more hell and fewer dahlias.”
  2. I love chewing ice. Like, if you want to get me a birthday gift, I’ll be totally happy with ice. Preferably from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, but I’ll take Starbucks too.
  3. Although I am a born and bred American, I have always been a vocal ally of Israel and consider it to be my true homeland. Having spent the past six weeks studying abroad in Jerusalem, my unwavering support for this country has only been strengthened.
  4. I recently started a Tumblr called Far Beyond Pearls, where I’m going to be writing about more general, random stuff about my life.
  5. When blogging doesn’t pay the bills, I do freelance work for a Chabad-Lubavitch children’s magazine and serve as a mashgicha (kosher supervisor) at my campus’ kosher kitchen.
  6. My fandoms are Doctor Who, Harry Potter, and Supernatural.
  7. I’m a sucker for stuffed animals. Really, all things fluffy have a special place in my heart. My bed is covered in fluffy stuffies, and when I’m home, my dog joins my collection. 

And now, bloggers who I find inspiring:
  1. Avigayil from V’Tzivanu. I am privileged to call Avigayil a personal friend, and her dedication to doing mitzvot (commandments) never ceases to amaze me. V’Tzivanu, her collection of women’s stories about laying tefillin, has given me a new perspective on claiming traditionally masculine mitzvot.
  2. The blogger from Nerd with a Voice. Her honesty about her struggles as a halakha (Jewish law) observant Orthodox girl in the 21st century is refreshing, and I can definitely relate to her on many levels. It’s always good to know that you’re not the only one, and this blog definitely confirms that.
  3. Shira from On the Fringe. She was one of the first bloggers I ever followed, so I was humbled when she gave me advice when we e-met. Shira’s been part of the Jewish feminist and blogging communities for many years, so her dedication and tenacity is something I really respect.
  4. Hadass from Riot Grrrl in Israel. A radical Zionist Israeli, zine-making, Third Wave punk musician feminist who describes herself as being infected by the grrrlVIRUS. She’s a badass, and her blog is beyond awesome; I always love checking in and reading up on what she has to say.
  5. Elan from Pop Chassid. Although long blog posts tend to surpass my attention span, Elan’s are so deeply introspective and thoughtful that I (usually) find the patience to read them. I always come away from his blog hopeful that the present and future of Orthodoxy.
  6. The blogger from Jewish Single Mother by Choice. I’ve been following JSMBC for quite a while, and it’s been a privilege to follow her journey in single parenting. It’s not easy and it’s not glamorous to raise a little one alone, but she shows that it’s completely possible and rewarding for everybody involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment