Friday, June 28, 2013

Mark Your Calendars: 2013 JOFA Conference


From December 7-8, the Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance (JOFA)’s 8th International Conference of Feminism and Orthodoxy will be taking place in Manhattan at John Jay College (524 West 59th Street, New York, NY). This year’s conference theme is “Voices of Change.”

I was privileged to be able to attend the last JOFA Conference in 2010, and I absolutely loved it. Hearing all of the speakers discuss various Jewish and Orthodox feminist topics lit a fire within me, and fueled my activist work. One of my first-ever published articles was a piece about my reflections on the conference.

On Saturday night, after Shabbat on December 7, there will be “An Evening of the Arts,” which will feature the voices of women artists and performers with displays of music, poetry, story, and song. I’m really looking forward to attending this part of the conference, since it’s always inspiring to see Jewish women who find new ways to express themselves through the arts. As someone who has interviewed several Jewish women performers, I always love to hear about new ones, so I hope that the Saturday night program will introduce me to some new artists.
               
Sunday December 8 will feature a full day of lectures, workshops, films, and panel discussions with leading Orthodox feminist scholars, networking opportunities, and action-oriented programming to help participants bring JOFA’s message back to their communities. There will even be special programming for educators, teens, and college students. I’m really looking forward to this whole day of the conference, since I know that all the speakers who are presenting will be amazing and inspiring.

For more information or to get involved, email conference@jofa.org.

For breaking news and conference updates, as well as all-around Jewish feminist inspiration and information, follow JOFA on Twitter or like us on Facebook


I hope to see you at the conference!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I would LOVE to perform in their Evening of the Arts.

    ReplyDelete