Monday, November 11, 2013

Video: Mary Lambert's "I Know Girls"

A feminist organization I'm on the board of at my college recently co-sponsored a Mary Lambert concert on campus. Consequently, I was privileged to hear Lambert perform her spoken word poem "I Know Girls" at the concert. Although I, like most people I've met, was only familiar with Lambert's appearance as the female vocalist in Macklemore's "Same Love," I became absolutely obsessed with her work after hearing her. She is one of the most powerful performers I've ever seen, and even more compelling in person than online. I can't even begin to say how much I love "I Know Girls." Seriously, take the five minutes and watch it. Your life will be changed.

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous you got to see her live. As you probably know, I can't stand "Same Love" but I am absolutely in love with Mary's song "She Keeps Me Warm" as well as "I Know Girls (Bodylove)". Having an out femme lesbian who is not thin visible in pop culture is really awesome and she is so cool! She even had an all queer-woman cast and crew for her music video for She Keeps Me Warm, if I remember correctly.
    This video in particular though has made me cry multiple times.

    "Your sexiness is defined by concentric circles within your wood; you are a goddamn tree stump with leaves sprouting out, reborn."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so powerful in person, even more so than in video - seriously, if you ever get the chance to see her perform live, grab the opportunity. If "I Know Girls" leaves you in tears just watching the video (I have the same reaction, don't worry), you'll be bawling if you see her in person.

      Delete